This is just a quick update about my thoughts from yesterday’s post.
1. The project that I do with my students is called “20 Things I like About Myself”
It worked really well last year and created a great visual. And although I only have elementary school kids, I like that it gets them thinking positively about themselves. It was easier for some students than others.
Some students couldn’t even get up to 10 (even with my assistance and giving them word the vocabulary as needed…
2. I wrote out my own “20 Things” (It’s a private post)–I’ve heard of people doing things like this in therapy and such, and honestly it was fantastic. I felt so much better afterward. I should try and find a way to display it. Maybe.
Either way, I highly recommend doing it.
3. This was just a random idea that I had, but I wanted to write it down so I could come back to it sometime and so I wouldn’t forget.
The whole beauty thing really strikes a cord (chord?) with me because it breaks my heart that these kids (and people) go through this. The whole culture is centered around your appearance (and what you can achieve, or how many activities you say you’re involved with). And it crushes them.
And hurts me too because children should be happy and be able to think positively about themselves.
I thought it would be really cool to be able to have some sort of event or workshop focused on building self-esteem.
I like doing projects and stuff and have done a few things back home, but this would really be challenging.
1. It would take a long while to organize.
2. I don’t speak Korean.
3. I’d probably have to change my visa status because I’m doing something other than teaching
a. Unless I got a Korean to assist me
b. Unless I made it more of an event..then I think it would be ok
4. Publicity would be super hard because of the language barrier.
5. Creativity is sort of a new thing here. Usually they go by the book and are very much like study machines
6. They don’t take well to criticism (which, this isn’t, but they might take it as such…because saying something on them needs improvement…or something)…
7. Foreigners are pretty low on the totem pole…so…yeah.
But…it would be REALLY, REALLY cool if it got off the ground. Like…amazing.
Hmm…things to think about.
Bring some positive thoughts into this place.
Anyway, off to work!